The first ever Open Championship was held here in 1860 and was won by Willie Park
of Musselburgh with a score of 174 over 36 holes. 3 rounds of 12 holes in those days.
The cairn to the bottom right marks the original first tee, a par 6 of 578
yards (530 metres), the green of which is still in use as the present day 16th.
Five or six deep bunkers per hole is par for the course hereabouts.
No pun intended.
A panorama of the area with the clubhouse tucked into the right corner.