Ardross castle and farm shop
east of Elie, Fife
The ruins of the castle just east of Elie, looking west.
Built in the 14th century by the Dishington family then sold to Sir William Scott of Elie in 1607 before
passing to Sir William Anstruther at the end of the 17th century.
The Fife Coastal Path winds through the castle and on the right in
this photo is the old railway line between Elie and St Monans used mainly
for farm access.
This view shows the drop onto the beach, no more than about twenty feet but
still giving substantial protection.
All that's left now are the foundations of the vaulted basement (the smaller
section) and the remains of a residential block added later (the larger part).
From overhead looking east.
(Please note that this is not the Ardross Castle just north of Inverness.)
Ardross Farm Shop is nearby and is an excellent stop for walkers
on the Fife Coastal Path who need food and drink to sustain them.
Access to the farm from the path is currently being upgraded (June 2022).
The farm alone with the shop right in the middle. As you would expect they
sell a wide range of fruit, vegetables, meat and all manner of local
There's plenty of free parking and easy access from the main coast
road (the A917 from Elie to St Monans) which runs right past the gate.