Click on images
with white borders
to see them in a
St Andrews Chapel - in ruins
North Berwick, East Lothian
There's not a lot left of this ancient chapel, once a resting place for pilgrims to St Andrews in Fife, on the far side of the Firth of Forth.
The ferry was preferable to the long journey up to Queensferry or even Stirling.
The original wooden buildings were said to date from the 7th century before the stone version was built in the 13th century.
The main chapel collapsed in 1656 and all that's now left standing is the porch, which was later used in the 1850s as a bothy by the local Rocket Men - The Marine Rescue Service Rocket Patrol, officially - whose job was to fire rescue lines to floundering ships, with varying degrees of success.
Another view showing the odd shape of the building, the sides not being parallel.
From directly overhead, the plan can be easily seen.
In these photos you can see that the ground pattern of some of the walls continues over the path to the right and is cleverly shown in contrasting tiles, to indicate the full extent of the original buildings.
Always remember that images taken by 197 aerial photography are available for clients
in a very much higher quality than the small sized compressed images which are shown
as .jpg files on this website.
Please see the quality sample page by clicking HERE or email for details.
All content is copyright © Alan Mackie - moral rights are asserted