Click on images
with white borders
to see them in a
The ruins of Lindores Abbey on the eastern edge of Newburgh in Fife.
This ancient site dates back as far as 1191 and was a Benedictine house established by David, Earl of Huntingdon and became the location of the first recognised distillery in Scotland, providing aqua vitae - the water of life - to King James IV in 1494.
Like most ancient abbeys it has a detailed history and like so many others was a victim of the Reformation.
There isn't much of it left to see but it's well tended and cared for. Thanks to the new distillery it even has convenient food and drink on hand and ample parking.
From further back you can easily see the distillery next door.
Always remember that images taken by 197 aerial photography are available for clients
in a very much higher quality than the small sized compressed images which are shown
as .jpg files on this website.
Please see the quality sample page by clicking HERE or email for details.
All content is copyright © Alan Mackie - moral rights are asserted